Monday, September 19, 2005

Shut up already.....

I am sick of hearing about the racial bias in the media regarding the hurricane. You want to know why the vast majority of the images from the flooding depicted minorities? African-American and Hispanic peoples make up 70% of the population of New Orleans.

As for the captions below the pictures that everyone is talking about. GET OVER IT. Two different sources, published by different people at different times. I'm in Houston, I've seen as much or more news coverage about this as anyone. I don't see the media saying things like 'We are welcoming the white-folk' and then saying 'I guess we will put up with all the others'.

I am not going to get into my feelings about how differing groups displaced from NO are being treated, but I would say that it is fair. Especially those who did not evacuate.

If you want to talk about why New Orleans ended up with the demographics that it had, or why certain ethnic groups ended up more densely packed around the superdome, that's one thing. But don't nit pick on the media. I'm sure some things were probably said, like the word refugee, but given that our society demands information instantaneously, the side effect is that occasionally it won't be as perfectly filtered as some of the more sensitive viewers would like.

4 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm sure some things were probably said, like the word refugee"--What's wrong with saying the word refugee? A refugee is one who flees in search of protection or shelter. This is precisely what the people from NOLA did--they fled in search of protection, aid, and shelter. I don't think it's insensitive at all to call them refugees.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Blog ho said...

anonymous pussy.

also, katrina will come for you next, houston.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Annette said...

The media is a reflection of society, so I don't think you can say that the media is any more biased than the American population in general. If anything, the media is probably more PC than most of America.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger 3am wanderer said...

I think it wasn't as much a race thing as a poor people thing. Most of the people at the Superdome relied on public transportation day to day so they had no means to evacuate as well as nowhere to go. Which brings me to a revision of what Kanye said which I find to ring more true: George Bush doesn't care about poor people. He has no way to relate to them.

As for the efforts the rest of the country has shown, I think we've come together to support our fellow man when it counts, whether the people are black or white, rich or poor.

The whole thing about people coming out of the wood work claiming to be displaced from New Orleans and collecting help funds though...that's so fucked up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home