Wednesday, April 27, 2005

So much pain...

If there is one thing I really hate, it is writing. Whoever decided that scribbling some wavy lines on paper would be a good way to convey our thoghts and feelings to others needs to be shot. I have less than two weeks to write a 10 page paper on my research progress and future plans. So far I have an outline and stack of papers 6 inches thick i need to read and reference in the document.

Speaking, I'm fine. As evidenced by yesterday. I put less than 8 hours total into my presentation and it went off without a hitch. I got favorable reviews and my boss said he thought it was good. Now, when i try to put the same thing down on paper, i'm going to have my committee tell me that it isn't well thought out, and they can't follow it, and that it needs to be redone.

Alas, this is the story of my life. I'm always better in person than i am on paper. It is hard to get a call back when I submit a resume, but if I do manage to get a face to face interview, I'm a lock for the job. Anyone who talks to me for five minutes realizes that I am competent and able, but if I write a paper, i come across like a brain dead chimp.

This is the main reason I am going to have an industrial position when i graduate. I can do the research, and am personable enough to work my way up the ladder, but if i had to sit in a university and write grants and papers to fund my own research, i'd be dead in a week.

In summation: writing sucks, i'm going to go sit out in the sun and read.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger boabhan sith said...

LOL...yeah, I'm the opposite too.

I can't give speeches...but I can write THE BEST SPEECH EVER, lol.

I do well in job interviews, but that's as far as it goes. With writing I have time to think about it and I can go back and change things, but when I talk...I say whatever I think. LOL...maybe that's why some people think I'm a bitch...Hmmm...

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Blog ho said...

be happy in the fact that no one will read it.

Plus, I'll write it for you for fifty bucks.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger B said...

No one will read it except for the committee that holds my future in their hands. Believe or not, i do have goals....a goal....graduation. oh please god let me graduate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home