Friday, December 10, 2004

Tis the Season for X-Mas Parties

It's the time of year for awkward social get togethers, pretending to like people you can't stand, getting a little too drunk in front of your boss, getting in the holiday spirit and waking up in the morning to a very awkward encounter with a co-worker that you hope to never see outside of work again.

Luckily for me I work in a lab at a univeristy. And our holiday party was lunch, and in our department's usual tradition it was very half-ass. Held in the hall of another building, everyone brings random food only they like, not enough drinks for everyone that shows, people segregating themselves and only socializing with the people they work with every day. Nothing like large groups of intellectually gifted and socially impaired people.

But I get to walk on the other side this year. I am being taken to a friend's company's party on Saturday. I get to be paraded around in public all dressed up for people to ooooh and awwww over, but i will get fed well for my services, so I am not complaining. Getting to see how another organization does things right will help me more adequately ridicule how poorly my department handles these gatherings. Though to be completely honest, most of it is probably the people. Great people can make the worst situation fun, and some people can make Disney World kind of dreary. But it's not like i am every going to try and offer suggestions or do the party thing right myself, so i'll keep my criticisms to myself. It's the american way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home